Hebrews 10:23- "Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."

Friday, January 25, 2013

Our first airplane ride.......

 She did really good on her first plane ride, as long as she was in Daddy's arms!!
 The view from our Awesome room on the 13th floor.
 The pretty cabinet is actually a mini bar......

 
So things are still about the same with Olivia not taking to me very much.  She is very insistant on being with her daddy.  This morning she was sitting in the floor playing with her toys while we packed and she figured out how to turn the little glow worm on, she got the biggest smile and was so proud of herself.  It was precious!  She did really good on the flight to Guangzhou, she sat quietly with Mike.  However, if I looked at her or touched her she would squirm away from me.  I will admit I was feeling a little sorry for myself and praying, asking God why did He bring me here to a child who wants nothing to do with me, and asking for Him to open her heart to me.  Well a few minutes later Mike and I were talking and he said that he has really needed this from her.  He has been on board with the adoption however he hasn't felt the excitement and love for her over the past few months like I have.  So this has really been good for him to have this time with her and her be so attached to him.  Mike has said to me about 5 times over the past few days, what a good idea I had in doing this (adoption)!  God really works in mysterious ways, but He does have a plan and a reason, and even an answer, if we stop thinking in our own head.  I just thought how awesome is it that God could talk to me through Mike like that.  I know she will come around, I must have patience.  I look at her and think how scared and confused she must be.  Last week she was comfortable and secure, this week she is unsure of what side is up.  I am so thankful that God has given her Mike to find comfort and love in.  My selfishness cannot compare to her little world being turned upside down and inside out, this is not about me.  It's about a little girl grieving and needing to find some peace. 
 
A few more things about our new daughter-
She has very long arms.  All 24 month pants fall off but her 24 month shirts are too short in her arms.
She is double jointed in every joint in her hands, it really quite interesting........
Her feet look about the way I expected, maybe a little more bent in the middle. 
She only sits indian style.  At first I was worried about her hips, she can pull her legs together, I just think it is more comfortable for her to sit like this. 
 She hasn't much muscle tone, none in her lower legs, obviously. 
Her feet are softer than a newborns.
She loves to cuddle and be held.  This is proabably why she is week, the orphanage staff said they were very fond of her, I'm guessing she was held a lot.
Her poor little head is very flat on one side, making her left ear bigger than her right.  I can't even think about how much she laid in one position as a baby......
When she eats, she will take tiny bites when she gets to the end, like she is savoring every possible bite.
 
We received her "Abadonment certificate" yesterday......that was hard.......reading the actual report of where she was found brought tears, I just can't imagine being her birth mom and doing that.......
We will never know the why or even the how......I just pray that her birth mom will find peace and know that her baby is being loved very, very much, and will never be denied love again! 
It's so sad to think about this little life and how she has had to cope for the past three years.  I hate that it took us 3 years to find and get her.  But from here on out, she will be loved, fed, taken care of, LOVED, she will one day walk, and she will never have to worry about any basic survival skills again.  She was an orphan a week ago, now she is a daughter, sister, granddaughter, cousin, neice.  She has a last name because it is her family's name, not a name just given to children because of the year they were orphaned.
She has a home, she has a family!

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I just have no words. It's so beautiful watching this from the outside and seeing God orchestrate it all. I have no doubt that Olivia will fall madly in love with her mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is SO good! And it is beautiful how He speaks to us! God is taking care of all of you, and your daughter will love you beyond measure very soon. BTW, it looks like you got a beautiful suite!! Enjoy that, we were crammed in a little regular room for a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW it's so hard when you are living this. I wish you could look ahead a few months and see that she is not only going to be daddy's girl, but she will be mommy's girl too. This is one of the most amazing experiences you all will ever have; amazing, but so hard. Like DS said, "big girl panties." Hoping she will open up once you all meet up with some other families in GZ. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time!! Soon it will all be a distant memory as your family falls into place. It will be as if she was always yours!

    ReplyDelete